Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Simon Majumdar's Life Saving Dahl


It is very easy to say that this is my favorite soup I've ever made when I am sick.

Eating this soup when you are sick, makes you forget the sickness instantly. All of a sudden, you can move your once achy muscles again, you can breathe through your nose, you can smell, you can taste, your sore throat disappeared. It really is incredible.

Unfortunately, they come back about an hour after you are finished, but some relief is better than none.

I found out about this soup and Simon Majumdar after listening to The Alton Browncast, AKA my new current listening obsession. Simon sounds lovely. I also ordered his book "Eat My Globe." It's a lovely read so far. I want to propose that he and I write "Eat My Gluten Free Globe" next. No one take my idea, or I will send you to court. This is in writing. :P

Anywho... on to this Life-Saving Soup....






Life Saving Dahl
Adapted from: Simon Madjumdar

Ingredients:
1 cup of red lentils (Toasted first in a dry pan. I use my fingers to stir and when it is too hot to touch, it is done)
1 unwaxed lemon chopped in quarters
1 onion sliced
1 cup frozen peas
2 cardamom pods (I used ground cardamom, around 1 tbsp)
2 cloves (I used ground cloves, around 1 tsp)
1 cinnamon stick (I used ground cinnamon, around 1 tbsp)
3 cloves garlic
3 fresh green chillies
2 inches of fresh ginger
1 tsp each of ground turmeric/ginger/cumin/coriander seed/hot chilli powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1½ Pints of water or stock (I used chicken stock)
1 Bag of spinach (washed)
1 lb chicken breast (Free Range), cut into 1/2 inch cubes

Instructions:
  1. Saute chicken cubes in olive oil until cooked all the way through. Put on plate and set aside.
  2. Make a paste by blending the ginger/garlic/fresh chilli with a little salt and water.
  3. Put 2 tablespoons of oil into a hot pan and when it comes to heat, add the cardamom, cloves and cinnamon stick. Cook for 1 minute on a low heat until they release their flavor.
  4. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften and turn golden.
  5. Add the ginger/chilli/garlic paste and cook for two to four minutes until it loses its rawness.Add the ground spices, sugar and salt and mix well with the onions and cook out for 4 mins until the spices lose their rawness. If the mixture begins to stick add a little water.
  6. Add the lentils and mix well so all the pulses are covered with the mixture.
  7. Add 1½ pints of water/stock and the quartered lemons and simmer for 30 mins until the lentils have broken down. Add more water if it sticks. Some lentils may take a little longer.
  8. 15 minutes after adding the stock or water, add the frozen peas and chicken. Cook for at least 15 more minutes.
  9. Add the spinach, cover and allow to wilt.
Enjoy and feel better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment