Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Turkey & Apple White Chili



These cool nights have put me in a soup mood. This week I made Turkey & Apple White Chili by EatInEatOut.  I was scared to try this recipe because it has apples in it. I couldn't get it out of my head, however, so I had to try it.

I couldn't have been happier with the results. IT IS DELICIOUS! You really must try it.

The flavors are incredible. The apples actually stay slightly crisp which adds a nice texture. It doesn't take too long to cook and is an inexpensive set of meals (it's just me, so I eat mine for days).







Turkey & Apple White Chili
Adapted from: EatInEatOut

Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey (antibiotic-free, free-range)
1 onion, diced
5 tsp chili powder (wheat-free)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
salt & pepper
2 apples, cored and cubed (I used Granny Smith; you want something tart)
1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
2 tbsp butter alternative (I used soy-free Earth Balance)
2 tbsp gluten free flour
2 cups chicken broth (organic, free range)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
green onions and cilantro (optional for garnish)

Directions:
  1. Place ground turkey in saucepan and cover with water. Heat over Medium Heat (simmering) until cooked all the way through, about 10 minutes. Drain and stir in cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. 
  2. In large soup pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add apples, garlic and onion and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 -7 minutes. 
  3. In the same pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minute. 
  4. Slowly whisk in chicken broth bringing to a simmer. Cook until thickened; about 5 minutes. 
  5. Add turkey and beans. Continue to simmer for 7-10 more minutes. 
  6. Stir in lime juice and heat through. Re-season with salt & pepper if needed. 
  7. To serve, top with green onions and cilantro if using. 
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment